Your suit and tie: 8 rules when dressing dashingly
At some point in a man’s life, he will wear a suit, and when he does, he might make a mistake. In fact, he might make the same mistake more than once. No judgment! There is no shame in this because we have all been the bearers of some unspeakable fashion errors in the past. Still, to help all of you dashingly dressed dudes out there, I have complied a list of 8 simple rules to remember when wearing a suit.
- Know what type of suit best fits your body type. Everyone’s body is shaped differently; therefore, designers make suits that come in dissimilar styles which are often proportioned for specific body types and heights.
- Invest in a good multi-occasion suit. Every man will need a suit at some point in his life. Repeatedly renting suits for special occasions will have you looking like a million bucks and your bank accounts looking dryer than the Sahara Desert!
- After you’ve bought it, get it tailored. An oversized suit is NEVER attractive… unless you are going as a pimp for Halloween. Find a good tailor and use his or her services to your advantage.
- Accessorize well. Don’t overdo it. A simple watch and ONE ring will easily do the trick. Watches are always great additions to a suit because they allow the wearer to show a little bit of his personality in his suit.
- Wear suits according to occasion. Enough said.
- Ties are important. Pay attention to tie etiquette. Like the suit itself, learning which ties work best for your body type will give you a much more polished look. Hint: Skinny ties only look cool about 5% of the time.
- Shoes and Belts should be carefully thought out… or should they? It has been beat into our brain cells that these two accessories have to match… traditionally. The way I see it, it’s 2014 and nothing matches anymore anyways! However, if you think the pair does not look good, it is probably a mess. No sense of style? Ask the salesperson.
- Play with prints and colors. Not only are you faced with the monstrosity that is pinstripe, but you also have a plethora of prints and hues to choose from! Conveniently enough (well, almost), many of the not-so-classic designs you come across can be pulled off when done correctly!